Falling waters 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Falling waters 2.0

Here there be Werewolves

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Garou Glyphs

Go down 
+2
Dietrich Von Stauffel
Adam King
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Adam King

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 1:15 pm

So, what are Garou Glyphs? People keep asking other people if they have this on their sheet, but both Brian and I were under the impression that knowledge of the written language of Garou (read: Glyphs) is taught to all Garou as Cubs, just like how they learn the Garou language.

I've been unable to find any entry for them in any book. Does someone who is of the opinion that Glyphs are a separate ability or a part of the linguistics ability want to make their point?
Back to top Go down
Dietrich Von Stauffel

Dietrich Von Stauffel

Character sheet
Breed: Homid
Auspice: Philodox
Tribe: Get of Fenris

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 4:15 pm

I think just about every garou would be taught their tribal glyphs, and such. But honestly just like Norse Runes I wouldnt assume everyone can read them. So Im thinking Academics: Norse Runes, and Linguistic Old Norse would apply as well As Linguistic Garou Runes. However I am very iffy on the hole thing.
Back to top Go down
Adam King

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Garou Glyphs and Norse Runes are two very different things. While I agree that Norse runes should be an academics specialization or Linguistics, I disagree that anyone should need to buy Garou Glyphs. Garou (spoken and written) is not a language that Garou need to learn, they are assumed to have learned it as cubs.
Back to top Go down
Dietrich Von Stauffel

Dietrich Von Stauffel

Character sheet

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Now see I might see that as true for Metis who have lived their entire lives in the Caern. But Lupus are usually what 2 or 3 years old at the time of their first change and havent had a heck of alot of time to learn anything like reading, or writting. To busy learning to hunt, and survive. Homid on the Other hand lets see most of us learned English, Math, Social Studies, Academics: Nintendo or WII, how to drive a car, operate and computer Academics: Windows XP or 7. All this before an Ooopps sometime usually between 13 and 18 and all of a sudden we have to go learn how to be a Garou.

I think I have read that Spoken Garou is learned at the moment of first change its an instinct hard wired into Garou activated by the first change ??? But would need a citation for that. What you are taught as a cub depends completely on your teachers.

When my PC was Den Father I would effectively insist on Garou Lore 1 - Cite the Litany, and Rituals one so you dont embaress your self or me at moots. I would assign every cub a mentor from their Tribe and Auspice to help them learn things Like Tribal Lore 1 and what it means to be Insert Auspice and Tribe here... If I insisted that you learn to read and write Garou than 1 of your starting EXP spends should be in the appropriate skill.

The Following has been and is nothing more than my Opinion, and a good starting place for a good heated debate on the subject. Did I forget to say I like debate Suspect 
Back to top Go down
Adam King

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 5:33 pm

See, I think Garou Glyph knowledge should come with Garou Lore. Do you have a dot of Garou lore? Yes, okay, you speak Garou. Do you have two dots? Okay, you can read Glyphs.
Back to top Go down
Dietrich Von Stauffel

Dietrich Von Stauffel

Character sheet

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 5:54 pm

Now that Might be very appropriate a good counter arguement. Garou Lore covers the basics of living as a garou and the Glyphs are part of that Culture. I would support that arguement.. but I still might take Academcis: Garou Glyphs for someone who is well a Garou Historian and Scholar because some of the Glyphs are not standard but blends of several other Glyphs to form a Name or a concept.

Back to top Go down
Ron Adams

Character sheet
Auspice: Galliard
Tribe: GlassWalkers

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 6:13 pm

Just play the lore game. Is it a generic Garou glyph, Garou lore 2. Is it a tribe specific glyph, Tribe lore 2 or Garou lore 3. Is it a secret Tribe specific glyph, Tribe lore 3 or maybe Garou lore 5.
Back to top Go down
Adam King

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 6:26 pm

^
Back to top Go down
Cameahwait

Character sheet
Breed: Lupus
Tribe: Uktena

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 6:30 pm

Or you could find an elder (little e) that has knowledge of runes and their meaning and have them teach you should they find you a willing recipient of the knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Adam King

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 6:40 pm

You shouldn't need to do so. It's the written language of our culture. The idea that the default is that Garou don't know how to write is silly. Plus, that argument isn't supported by any entry in the book that I've discovered.

I'm going to assume my character knows Garou Glyphs due to his Garou lore until someone shows me a single White Wolf or MES entry that says Garou Glyphs is a separate ability or lore. I haven't been able to find such an entry, and I challenge you to do so. XD
Back to top Go down
STBrian

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Hi! Here's my opinions, and how I run it.

* All Garou speak Garou from the moment of their first change.
* Any Garou who has successfully made his right of passage to Cliath has been trained in the basics of Glyphs.
* Understanding obscure Glyphs is a function of Garou Lore.
Back to top Go down
Adam King

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 6:45 pm

Yay! Clarity achieved!
Back to top Go down
STBen

Character sheet
Tribe: Uktena

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 7:27 pm

I'd say it's like the difference between knowing a language and studying linguistics. Everyone here speaks English. Chances are, not everyone here can understand me when I say, "Wes hāl! Is hēr ǣnig þe Englisce spricþ?"

The former is part of upbringing; the latter is (in game terms) Lore.
Back to top Go down
Adam King

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 7:31 pm

Gēse.

A valid point. Thank you for the clarification.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Garou Glyphs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garou Glyphs   Garou Glyphs Empty

Back to top Go down

Garou Glyphs
Page 1 of 1